Example questions to ask potential adopters
- Are you aware of and prepared to assume the financial and physical responsibilities of caring for this animal? Including but not limited to: vaccinations, regular veterinary care and check-ups, appropriate quality food, time and attention.
- Is everyone in the household agreeable to adopting this animal?
- Have you had any pets before?
- What happened to your previous pet(s)?
- Do you currently have any pets? What are they?
- Are you aware of the need and prepared to introduce the animals gradually?
- What will you do if they do not get along?
- What preparations have you made for the animal? For example, where will it sleep, what foods have you bought, etc.
- What type of property do you live in?
- Do you have children at home?
- Who will be the primary caregiver of the animal?
- Will there be someone at home during the day? If not, how many hours will the animal be left alone?
- Are you planning to move in the near future? If yes, are you prepared to bring the animal with you?
- What will you do if someone in the family develops an allergy?
- Will you be keeping the cat indoors? How will you ensure it does not roam?
- Are you aware of the average life-span of a cat (up to 20 years) and are you prepared to give it a home for the rest of its life?
- Why are you adopting a dog?
- Are you prepared to train the dog?
- Is your home suitably prepared for the dog (fencing adequate, etc)?
- Are you aware of the average life-span of a dog (10-15 years) and are you prepared to give it a home for the rest of its life?
Courtesy of SPCA Singapore. For more information, visit www.spca.org.sg.